Can I move here from another province that is not regulated even though I have worked there as a respiratory therapist?

Yes, provided you meet several qualifications. As the mandate of the SCRT is public protection, we have the duty to ensure that respiratory therapists moving here from unregulated provinces and territories meet the same requirements as respiratory therapists practising in this province. Thus, to qualify for a licence you must:

  • Have been a member of the CSRT for the last 2 years and prescribed to a continuing education program.
  • Have worked as a respiratory therapist for 750 hours in the past 2 years.
  • Provide the SCRT with verification of employment from your current or last employer. SCRT Employment Verification Form.doc
  • Provide the SCRT with evidence of good character, namely, a Criminal Record Check (CRC) from the RCMP or local police. No third party CRCs will be accepted.
  • Provide proof of graduation from a Council-approved respiratory therapy program in Canada.
  • Complete the SCRT application form IN FULL (please include CBRC registry number).
  • Pay all fees.

If I currently hold a Graduate practising licence, how long is it valid?

A temporary, Graduate practising licence expires 12 weeks after the day the applicant writes the CBRC examination, OR, on the day the member receives the results of the CBRC exam, whichever comes first.

If a member is unsuccessful in challenging the CBRC exam, the member may apply to the registrar in writing for an extension for a period or periods sufficient for the member to challenge the next sitting of the CBRC examination.

Under Section 5(3) of the SCRT Regulatory Bylaws, "A person who fails the examination on first writing is required to rewrite the examination at the next opportunity, unless the registrar gives special written permission to write it at a later time."

If you have any urgent questions, please contact the SCRT registrar at